1748: the first Jewish communitas of the Great Hungarian Plain, under protection of the bishop-landlord; 1814: the first homily in Hungarian (Fábián Schweitzer); the Pulitzer family has a distinguished role in the municipality. Predominantly peaceful coexistence. Last third of the 19th century: Jewish orthodoxy plays an important role in onion trade and making it known worldwide. Religious diversity: “Little Jerusalem” (Neolog, Orthodox, Hasidic). Prominent rabbis: Salomon Ullmann, Anton Enoch Fischer, Dr. Ármin Kecskeméti and Moshe Vorhand (the latter two died as martyrs during the Shoah). Four cemeteries (old cemeteries on Sírkert and Hársfa street, Orthodox and Neolog cemeteries in Jángor). The ratio of Jewish population was the largest in 1920 (2 380 people, 6.3%). Shoah: 1 200 Jewish victims. After 1945, the town was one of the largest Jewish centres in the countryside, however, emigration was intensifying. In 1956, the whole orthodox community left the town. “Remainder of the Jewry”: Establishment of the United Israelite Community of Makó. 1965: demolition of the Neolog Jewish temple. 1980s: the minyan was adjourned, along with the community organization.

From 1990, it is called “Jewish fellowship of Makó” (8-12 people). 2009: Ármin Kecskeméti Association (Companionship from 2016), bringing together the local Jewry, as well as local philosemitic intellectuals (leader: Zsolt Urbancsok).

Those who left:

The knowledge of their Makó ancestry is an important element of the identity and togetherness of the emigrating orthodox community. The son-in-law of the wonder rabbi Moshe Vorhand (Ohel Mose) directed the community emigrating to Israel towards Hasidism. The “Saint Courtyard” lives in Ashdod with “the Rebbe of Makó” (Simon Lemberger, great-grandson of the wonder rabbi Moshe Vorhand). They have built a study centre there based on the Makó synagogue. From 1994, they frequently go on pilgrimage, which also serves as world assembly for the Haredi community. Besides the synagogue, the community also maintains a pilgrim house with 54 places. Each year, thousands of emigrated Jewish guests visit Makó.



On October 4, 2019 the 3-kilometre-long, solid-paved road connecting the town and the Jewish cemeteries of Jángor, and a turning place for buses were opened to the public. The cemetery is the resting place of many tzadiks and the wonder rabbi Moshe Vorhand. Their graves are the most important relics of religious tourism. With this road being built, the Jewish community/communities of Makó now finally see their wish come true after more than a hundred years.

The realization of the next stage of the project began in the Autumn of 2019: renovation of the Orthodox synagogue of Makó and development of a visitors’ centre showcasing Jewish heritage. Among others, the memorial wall for the victims of the Holocaust is going to be renovated, and an installation is going to mark the place of the mikveh.


Famous people

Related galleries

contact Dr. Benkéné Báron Katalin
e-mail baronkata7@gmail.com
contact Urbancsok Zsolt
e-mail urbancsok@gmail.com